Thursday, December 27, 2007

Powerful Muslim Sister - Sofia Servando Baig

My friend Supreet introduced me to the work of Sofia Servando Baig a while back. She is 19 and is a spoken word poet from Montreal, Canada - she has recited her poetry at the ISNA (Islamic Society of North America) Conference which was held in Chicago, Toronto's MuslimFest, and she also took part in the Muslim HipHop tour "HipHop4Islam". I think one of the most powerful qualities a person can have is eloquence, and this girl CAN WRITE! Here's what she said about her poetry in an interview: "All my poems are personal and are a reflection of how I feel as a Muslim, as a woman, as a sister, as a daughter, as a result of my place in society. I speak about what i know and I don't speak about what I don't know."


check out her poetry on her myspace
<-- click that.
Salaam!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

this excites me
not to mention that shes half chinese half pakistani who went to a catholic school for her education and then when she matured she rediscovered Islam and bc one with the faith. shes a beautiful person with a message to preach. bless her soul.

and this is exciting that this got made into a blog haha

woot woot