Monday, January 3, 2011

Child Rise



(start at 2:47 for "Child Rise" - this song speaks to me)

introducing my new muse: Naima Shalhoub
Naima's poignant lyrics emerge from a life of straddling cultural and national borders as an Arab-American, born in the US with familial roots in Lebanon and Sierra Leone. She has her master's degree in postcolonial anthropology focusing on gendered violence, effects of occupation in Lebanon and Palestine, and racial justice in the US. She continues to do advocacy work such as her past experiences including volunteering in refugee camps in Lebanon, Bay Area
campaigns to end violence against women, and organic forming in Costa Rica. Naima is a current member member of the San Francisco based Arab Resource and Organizing Center, and also works with youth facilitating workshops on music, song-writing, and empowerment.
(taken from NaimaShalhoub.com)

OH and she plays uke, like me! well, baritone uke, so it's like the love-child of a guitar & ukulele.


Basically she does everything that I would like to ideally be doing. I don't know about the degree anymore, because I'm already almost done with undergrad, but iA everything else :)

0 comments: