Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Mouna's Story: An Iraqi Girl Struggles to Walk Again

Insh'Allah one day I want to work with Doctors Without Borders - it's a goal I'm working up to. In the mean time, I try to keep posted on what they're doing around the world. This story is about Mouna who lost her legs three years ago in Iraq and is learning to walk again on artificial limbs with the help of MSF surgeons and physiotherapists in Amman, Jordan.












Seeing the excitement on her face as she walks is both an exhilarating and poignant scene. I mean does one even stop to think in between the whining of "I'm too lazy to do that..." of how well-off we are and how ungrateful we can be? If one thing doesn't go as we want, we forget to thank Allah for all of the other blessings he's bestowed on us and instead focus in on this one negative. In fact I constantly have to remind myself of that as well - and that's why it's a good idea to have little iman strengtheners like this.

"Surely with difficulty there is relief" (94.7) Allah isn't going to give you what you can't handle, and if we remain patient throughout these tests our sins will be washed away i'A. I def. feel like little Mouna passed hers, I only wish I could be that patient.

6 comments:

mujahideen ryder said...

mashaAllah! good post! I'm really glad to see another muslim on BlogRush. I got here via BlogRush on my blog (mujahideenryder.net)

Anonymous said...

i love you.

-m :)

Salma Khan said...

Omg, that was heartbreaking!!
My posts are no where as moving as yours! Keep it, Baby V! :) :)

Jana said...

sis are you a medic?

Vanessa Fatima said...

Mujahideen ryder, m, and salma thank you! (:

Hayah - No, I still have awhile till Medical School (a good 4 years!) insh'Allah I will be one though so I can take part in things like this!

Jana said...

Inshallah you will :) I'm in medical school right now, and it's such a struggle! But I too hope to take part in MSF and such organisations in the future, so it'll all be worth it I hope!