Friday, August 22, 2008

Appreciatin' and Praisin'

A while ago I received a pocket sized book from the mosque called Fortress of the Muslim - Invocations from the Qur'an & Sunnah. I've been looking through it a lot this summer and am amazed at how many different supplications and invocations there are... it's beautiful how Allah SWT has made everything so simple for us - if we only take the time to look. My favorite one so far is What A Muslim Should Say When He Is Praised, and subhan'Allah, while I was looking for the duaas typed up online I ran into Muslimology.org and the blogger has the same book AND scanned the duaas AND made a post on this very subject! So here's a snippet from that post and insh'Allah you will check out their website, too.

How a Muslim should praise another Muslim

If any of you praises a Muslim then let him say:

“I consider (such and such a person), and Allah is his Assessor,






wa laa uzakee ‘alallaahi ahadan

(meaning: and I cannot claim anyone to be pious before Allah) -if you know of this (good character trait in the person) to be such and such (saying what he thinks is praiseworthy in that person).” (Muslim 4/2296)

What a Muslim should say when he is praised








Allaahumma laa tu’aakhidhnee bimaa yaqooloona, waghfir lee maa laa ya’lamoona [waj'alnee khairam-mimmaa yadhunnoon].

Oh Allah, do not call me to account for what they say and forgive me for what they have no knowledge of [and make me better than they imagine].

(Al-Bukhari, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad no. 761. See Al-Albani, Sahih Al-Adab Al-Mufrad (no. 585). The portion between brackets is from Al-Baihaqi, Shu’ab Al-Iman 4/228, and comes from another account.)


I love the "and make me better than they imagine" part :) maan it's like Allah SWT is giving us some elbow room as we're keeping our egos in check.

Peace

3 comments:

gingermuffin said...

I am definitely gonna check out that site!

Anonymous said...

man its been a while
nice post
lol actually reading it in arabic and looking at the transliteration is so different

Anonymous said...

go to www.fisabilillah12.wordpress.com and write comments.