Sunday, August 17, 2008

Building the now for the promise of the Infinite

"Love" by Mos Def

They say the goodness in life belongs to those who believe.
So, I believe.

I start to think, and then I sink
Into the paper, like I was ink.
When I’m writing, I’m trapped in between the line.
I escape when I finish the rhyme.

My pop said he was in love when he made me.
Thought about it for a second, wasn’t hard to see.
I could hear he was sincere, was no game of promotion,
The entire affair was probably charged wit emotion.
When love call your heart, I guess you got to pursue.
12-11-73 my life is testament:
Praise the Beneficent, Element-at-Rest,
The Void in the form that make love manifest.

I spent my early years in Roosevelt Projects,
It was a bright valley wit some dark prospects.
In ‘83, Venny C was the host wit the most:
I listened to the Rap Attack and held the radio close.
I listened to the Rap Attack and held the radio close.
This is far before the days of high glamour and pose!
Aiyyo, power from the street light made the place dark!
I know a few understand what I’m talkin’ about,
It was LOVE for the thing that made me wanna stay out,
It was LOVE for the thing that made me stay in the house

Spendin’ time, writin’ rhymes,
Tryin’ to find words that describe the vibe
That’s inside the space
When you close yo’ eyes and screw yo’ face…

Is this the pain of too much tenderness
To make me nod my head in reverence?
Should I visit this place and remember it
To build landmarks here as evidence?
Night time, Spirit shook my temperment
To write rhymes that portray this sentiment:
We live the now for the promise of the Infinite.
We live the now for the promise of the inifinite,
And we believe in the promise.
(Yes, YES, y’all, and we don’t stop) because

I got love, l-o-v-e and I be

Love, l-o-v-e to MC
Get love, l-o-v-e and I be
Love, l-o-v-e I MC
Get love, l-o-v-e and I be
Love, l-o-v-e to MC
Get love, l-o-v-e and I be
The m-o-s-d-e-f-initely

My folks said they was in love when they made me.
I take the love they made me wit to make rhymes and beats
(Can you feel?) The raw deal, it’s all-wheel-driven
Contemplate the essence of beats, rhymes and livin’
Speech in line wit the rhythm, designed wit the rhythm,
Ears and eyes keepin’ good time wit the rhythm.
I shine wit the rhythm, the Black Star Gallactica,
Big number fleetin’, we ancient like the abacus.

After us, I see we proceed to be trees -
Sproutin’ leaves, givin’ breeze to the we who believe.
I MC, which means I Must Cultivate the earth,
Straight back, straight backs, hard beats and hard work.
I be the funky drummer to soften the hard earth.
(Amin) Pray Allah keep my soul and heart clean.
(Amin) Pray the same thing again for all my team.

This go out to Fort Greene and on out to Queens
Uptown to boogie down, yo’ just look around
And shook up the world!, like Ali in 6-3

I’m reachin’ the height that you said cannot be,
I’m bringin’ the light but you said we can’t see.

Saw the new day comin’
(it look just like me!)
Sun burst through the clouds
(my photo ID!)
I bring light to your day and raise yo’ degree,
The Universal Magnetic, you must respect it
From end to beginning,
praise True and Livin’,
Ever-changing, but Sustaining Magnificent!
Building the now for the promise of the infinite
Building the now for the promise of the inifinite.

0 comments: