Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Come on, Paint Me a Rainbow.


I recently came across a couple of articles talking about color therapy or chromotherapy and how different colors can induce different emotions or moods from us. This is through the fact that each color has different vibrations and each vibration is associated with different attributes and qualities. "A color will vibrate at a specific frequency. It is said that organs and glands of our bodies also vibrate at specific frequencies and that colors correspond to the areas of our body which have the same frequency. When we are sick, our organs and glands may become out of balance and not function at their proper frequencies. Restoring the proper frequency is thought to restore health."

  • Red is hot. It can stimulate and excite. It connects to our physical self.
  • Orange is warm and joyful. It connects to our emotional self.
  • Yellow is warm to hot. It connects to our mental self.
  • Green is the master color. It is refreshing and cool. It connects us to unconditional love.
  • Aqua (turquoise) is cooling. It connects us to our expression.
  • Blue is cold and acidic. It connects us to holistic thoughts.
  • Indigo is cool and calming to the nervous system. It connects us to our unconscious self.
  • Violet is cool. It connects us to our spiritual self.
  • Magenta is balancing. It connects us to devotional love.
Then, I started thinking about how color overtly affects me on a day to day basis and took note of what colors I am drawn to. My room is full of whites, light blues, and yellow - I looove coming home to it after a long day of classes and libraries. However, I started noticing something that threw me off and it was my janemaaz (prayer rug) - it was BRIGHT RED and black. Looking over what all of these colors can stimulate, I decided it was necessary to change the color of my prayer rug to aqua with hints of red, I don't know if it was all in my head, but alhamdulillah my duas are now much more open and eloquent. SO, if any of you would like to try out this little experiment and tell me how it worked out for you, that'd be lovely!

I'll leave a link down here for more reading on the possible benefits of color therapy for a deeper look, check it out:
http://www.color-medicine.com/

0 comments: