Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Vintage Inspired Outfit


(click it so you can admire it with a closer eye)
As I was browsing through the Rebirth of Chic website I came across the GORGEOUS hijab above. howww vintage inspired is it?! Soo I created an outfit for it... Suede flats, canvas hobo (which is actually huge, but I had to resize it to fit), and grey pants are all from Old Navy; shirred sweater top from twelvebytwelve.com; and the pearl bracelet is from perlunapearls.com (super expensive ha, but I had to add it). I think these colors complement eachother well, they remind me of an oyster shell. Which reminds me of a story...

When I used to have days like "OMG why can't I just go out after Maghrib and blah blah" my mom always told me this extended metaphor: first I was to imagine that there is a pearl that has "been around" and is rolling all over the streets, and it's super dirty - if you saw that pearl would you even take a second glance? And then there'd be another pearl that had kept itself safely in it's oyster and was clean - which one would I prefer? Naturally, the clean one. So I think of the oyster as being the limits that I've put on myself - not as my house because it's the 21st century and us Muslimahs have to uphold our Din when it is wrongly slandered about - we have a voice and aren't afraid to use it! But essentially we have set out limits for ourselves as we amalgamate Islamic morals into our modern Western lifestyles, and I believe that is our oyster shell.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice, haha you were right about creating one that really is great. approve of the colors and everything.

Anonymous said...

"(click it so you can admire it with a closer eye)"

haha im admiring
no but really the outfit looks cute
i like it

Anonymous said...

Wow! You designed it very nicely. Looks beautiful, and matches each other well.

www.zaiqa.net

Vanessa Fatima said...

izzy, anon, and mona thanks for your feedback (:

more outfits to come i'A! keep visiting

salaam

sanah said...

dude, i just gotta say, i dont approve of those pleated pants

Celeritas said...

Cute!

gingermuffin said...

Ahhhh! I love the metaphor! And this site, masha'Allah! I'm currently going througha ll the archives...so far so good1 The outfits are GORGEOUS! I'm a sucker for hijab fashion sites :P

blog wali sarkar said...

To understand Mary's beauty, one must know of the gifts bestowed on her, and her response to these gifts, which put her in intimate contact with Beauty, Itself. Scripture, God's revealed Word, tells us that "an angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph...and the virgin's name was Mary. CBD Bath Bombs & Soap