Monday, April 21, 2008

Not Your Erotic, Not Your Exotic - Suheir Hammad

Another powerful Muslim sister! Suheir Hammad is a Palestinian-American poet, activist, and author
she's AMAZING.
I love her casual-yet-oh-so-powerful style.



"Exotic" - Suheir Hammad

Don't wanna be your exotic
Like some delicate fragile colorful
bird imprisoned caged in a
land foregin to the stretch of her wings

Don't wanna be your exotic
women everywhere look just
like me some taller darker
nicer than me but like me
Just the same women everywhere
carry my nose on their faces
my name on their spirits

Don't seduce yourself with my
otherness
the beat of my lashes
against each other ain't some
dark desert beat it's just
a blink get over it

Don't build around me
your fetish fantasy your
lustful profanity to
cage me in clip my wings

Don't wanna be your exotic
your loving of my beauty ain't
more than funky fornication
plain pink perversion in
fact nasty necrophilia
because my beauty is dead
to you
I am dead to you

Not your harem girl
geisha doll banana picker
pom pom girl poom poom short
coffee maker town whore
belly dancer private dancer
la malinche venus hottentot
laundry girl your immaculate
vessel emasculating princess
don't wanna be
not your erotic not your exotic


My favorite line is "it's just a blink - get over it" huzzah! She's discussing the sexual exploitation of women of color. The concept of "orientalism" is very strong in this poem too, and if you don't know what that is, then I suggest you do some reading. I could attempt to explain on here, but it's quite lengthy and I, myself don't have a strong grasp on it. It's along the lines of how the West views everyone from the East as "the other" or "them" as inferiors... this is where being "exotic" and all that steps in. Definitely is a heavy subject - but as Muslim-Americans, we are going to come across orientalist comments many times in our lifetimes, so it's best to be knowledgeable about it!

Salaam

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yey!
fer spreading her amazing word

i love it
and shes so inspiration

nice nessa!

Anonymous said...

Salams sis! I love it! I linked your blog from mines (thecoveredlady.blogspot.com).
Check it out and let me know what you think!

Hijabi Apprentice said...

love this!!!!! this poem could have been the anthem of my life!

Vanessa Fatima said...

Supreet - thanks (: I love hearing your feedback!

Naeemah - wassalam! awhh yay I love being linked! I will def check out your site

Hijabi Apprentice - omg I know her words are so powerful! I'm glad they resonated with you

Miss Muslimah said...

Beautiful

Unknown said...

That is one of the most amazing things I have read in a long time. Thank you so very much for posting it!

Vanessa Fatima said...

to miss muslimah and muslima maria - welcome to my blog (: I do hope you keep visiting! and insh'Allah I will continue to try my best to provide empowering posts for my sisters!