Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I Haven't Seen This Much Love in a Room Since Narcissus Discovered Himself

The title is a quote from disney's Hercules (1. because it's hillarious, 2. because it's semi-pertinent to what this post is about).

How many times a day do you look at your reflection in the mirror? Many, and yeah sometimes it is more out of habit than narcissism, but we still do it a lot. So what's a good way to get more out of looking in the mirror than just the usual "you are so full of yourself" comment? Reciting this dua:

اللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ حَسَّنْتَ خَلْقِي فَحَسِّنْ خُلُقِي

Allahuma anta hassan’ta khalqee, fa hassin li khulaqee

"O Allah, just as You have made my external features beautiful, make my character beautiful as well". (An-Nisai)

Ultimately, it is your behavior and not your external features that's valued more by Allah and by mankind right? If you're personality/behavior/character is awesome then your family, coworkers, and basically everyone will like you more, and you will like yourself more. There are no negatives about it, so yallah - memorize this tiny dua!

Salaam

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this insightful piece with just the right amount of witty humor.

i think todays world needs things like this to distract us from the appearance obsessed influence.

if we obsessed that much over our personalities wouldnt we all be great people and live in harmony?


yes yes we would.

Anonymous said...

so awesome post
but the duah was amazing

good job and keep at it!

-anonymous who isnt so anonymous anymore

Molly said...

awesome, thank you.

Desert Housewife A. (The Canadian in Jubail) said...

JazakAllahukhair for this reminder:-D

I wish ppl thought this way in grade school, then maybe there wouldn't be so much self-esteem/feeling not "pretty" enough issues.

I went through a bit of Ugly-Duck Syndrome myself and it made me NOT want to look in the mirrot. SubhanAllah. But now Allah s.w.t. has opened my eyes to the real beauty which includes taqwa, iman and loving others not based on appearance but what's in their hearts.

"Ugly-Duck Syndrome"... hehe, maybe I should write a post on that!

Pixie said...

VF you rock! May Allah reward you for the reminder. Do you mind if I post the du'a on my blog and link to you----?

Vanessa Fatima said...

Supreet - haha thanks girl, and for sure I wish everyone did obsess more over personalities > appearance. so very true.

Molly and "anon"- thank you (: and no problem! Knowing that it's helping motivates me to post more!

Aalia - haha I look forward to reading your post about ugly duck syndrome, I'm pretty sure everyone has gone through it! I know I have!

Alixianna - awhh thank you! and yes of course you can!

esra said...

Well said. That's actually a really nice du'a, I think I'll use it :)

Amina said...

salaams
just found your blog, very nice especially that post...amazing dua, will use it as well
regards from poland
amina

Vanessa Fatima said...

esra - thanks girl! I'm glad it was of use to you!

amina - Wassalam, welcome! good to hear that you like my blog (: keep checking back! I'm usually better about posting consistently - just been a little busy lately!