Monday, September 13, 2010

"Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty." - Derek Zoolander

I just came across a post I wrote in Feb that I never got around to posting...it makes me nervous thinking about school and quizzes and midterms starting up in a couple of weeks. ANYWAYS the overall message of the post is good so...read on!

I'm finally getting a day of straight up lounging without any guilt; these last two weeks were chalk full of exquisitely stressful midterms and make-you-chew-your-pencil-like-it's-candy quizzes. For the past hour I've been testing out my latest belated birthday gift: Sennheiser HD 205's - whaats up Louis Armstrong, your voice sounds even more delicious through this new medium. Anyways, getting to the point...this break means time to reflect and the topic that comes up among most collegiate minds in a very Zoolander-esque manner is: "Who am I?"

Of course this self-discovery will never cease, but it's been noted that those who take some time to try to shape certain aspects of themselves rather than just "going with the flow" are much more appealing roamers of the Earth. So how do you shape yourself to be someone you want to be? Take a look at your environment and all that you're exposed to. These things shape you; you're like a sponge and all of the external factors you come across are absorbed into your head. Eventually the sponge will be less like our little, rigid Nickelodeon friend and be more like the mushy square laying atop your kitchen sink...and it will overflow. All that comes out of it is everything it took in, similar to everything that comes out of your mouth is one version or another of what your five senses have experienced.

TOP FIVE RUINERS OF YOUR COULD-BE AMAZING PERSONALITY:
1. Jersey Shore
2. Cosmo
3. the Twilight series
4. Auto-Tuners (thank you T-Pain)
5. Teenage Mom

WHAT YOU SHOULD BE ABSORBING:
1. Qur'an + legit Hadith
2. lots of Def Jam Poetry (holla all my sassy women of color!)
3. One Be Lo's S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M.
4. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
5. Ani Difranco.



I lovelovelove her fran(c)kness (ha ha), but really, that's an powerful quality to have...as long as it's used in an eloquent manner: "squint your eyes and look closer/ I'm not between you and your ambition/ I am a poster girl with no poster/ I am thirty-two flavors and then some."

As opposed to Snooki from Jersey Shore, who is also very frank....but whaaaat?
"I had a feeling where I wanted to make out with somebody, so, umm, I just made out with Ryder, because all the guys like that."

peace!

0 comments: