Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welcome to Vegas Mecca, Baby!

Hello readers! (or lack there of...) I know I haven't been very consistent in updating my blog in the last year, but I'm refreshed from Ramadan and have a bunch of new ideas. Also, on a bigger note: one of my dear friends has taken an interest in the blog/cause and has agreed to be a co-author! Introducing...Raisa Mirza (posting as blessherheart) she is also on the pursuit to find the Muslim-American balance, is a huge PR enthusiast (she's about to start working for Ogilvy!), dresses to kill, and will offer a fresh paradigm on lots of topics, iA. Let's kick things off with our first joint post...

Picture this: throughout the year, millions of people flock to these two cities prepared for minimal sleep and in hopes of changing their lives... What else do these two metropolises have in common? They're both scorching deserts, I'm talking about Mecca and Las Vegas.

Reasons Mecca is better than Vegas:
1. Hajj (Holy Pilgrima
ge) is performed in Mecca - after it's completion one is completely sinless, Vegas is known as "Sin City"...if you were to die right after your trip, which one would you rather be coming back from?

2
. Mecca attracts 13 mill people/year while Vegas attracts around a third of that. Where's the satisfaction at?

3. Where will you make better decisions? Vegas: "Angel in my head, Devil on my shoulder" Mecca: "Angels everywhere, Devil tied to a pillar"

4. A drink found only in Mecca is Zamzam water, it is said to relieve one of hunger/thirst/illness plus it comes from a well that has never gone dry. Vegas offers specialty cocktails that relieve one of...good decision making skills.

5.
Waking up to Adhan, to see the Kaaba, while 1.5 billion people around the world, no matter the time zone, are facing in the same direction OR waking up with sore feet to see the Bellagio water show? Yea, the latter doesn’t quite have the tenacity that the Kaaba does. I turn towards this place everyday- imagine seeing it right before your eyes and thinking about all the people who are turned in that direction with you. Now THAT’s where amazing happens.

6. “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” Um, that doesn’t sound as exciting as everyone makes it out to be. What happens in Vegas? You dress up, you eat at a nice restaurant, you go swimming, and you go out. Sounds fairly simplistic, right? Well, contrary to popular belief, it is rather simplistic. There is virtually nothing that is any bit compelling to come back and talk about- maybe some good food? A celebrity sighting? but what is a celebrity sighting going to do for me? Nothing- this is all a fascination with the dunya that so many of us, myself included, are somewhat enthralled in. Now, what happens in Mecca, you bring back with you and carry it with you for the rest of your life. This sounds like a much more beneficial manner in which to spend my vacation time. Although I have yet to travel to the Holy City, hearing the compelling stories from my peers who have visited can truly shake a person. Now if hearing about a traveler’s experience can shake you, imagine what actually visiting Mecca must provide for oneself. I can’t even being to wrap my head around how I would feel.

Peace.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha clever!