Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"From dirt back to dirt."

"In the world, people are publicized by their property, wealth and asset, and in eternity they are known by their deeds and actions." - Imam Hadi (AS)

Packing always puts the "have no attachments to dust" & "covet nothing" ideals to the test. Just finished packing for back home after spending a good seven weeks in the Pak...this was my first time coming alone and in retrospect it was just what I needed (although, it seems that a trip to Pakistan is always "just what I needed"). My extended family is an amazing support system - well most of it anyway - visiting Pakistan after two years put me back in check, alhamdulillah. In fact, this might be really dramatic, but Dessa's lyrics from Children's Work (I've learned how to paint my face/ how to earn my keep/ how to clean my kill...) are resonating with me more than ever. After the horrible floods it's become more clear to me than ever that we can't get too attached to the pomp and glitter of this world; 'cos one day we're going to leave it and the more attachments we've got, the more our souls will struggle to stay here. I really want to be one of those Rabia Basri types and be yearning to see Allah (swt) and want nothing more - still have a long way to go - but working on it. Packing was a good exercise because I kept evaluating whether I really needed something or if I could make someone else happier (stronger, faster?) with it. Realized the only things I'm REALLY attached to are my laptop and underwear. Interesting mix. Although, I must admit, headbands put up a good fight...overall, I'd give myself a B for this little session.

Surah At-Takathur definitely wins the Relevant Surah-of-the-Day Award:

بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ

With the Glorious Name of Allah, the Most Gracious [Who has bestowed upon mankind His Guidance [10:57-58, 17:82], the Most Beneficent [Who showers His special blessings upon those who rehearse it and abide by it [7:204, 6:155].

أَلْهَاكُمُ التَّكَاثُرُ

102:1 The mutual rivalry for accumulating (more and more wealth and other worldly gains) diverts you (from the real purpose of your life)

حَتَّى زُرْتُمُ الْمَقَابِرَ

102:2 Till such time that you reach your graves

كَلا سَوْفَ تَعْلَمُونَ

102:3 (This is not something utterly incomprehensible. If you think of it in a dispassionate manner) you would soon come to know (how destructive this attitude is.)

ثُمَّ كَلا سَوْفَ تَعْلَمُونَ

102:4 Of course you can quickly understand (the outcome of this way of life.)

كَلا لَوْ تَعْلَمُونَ عِلْمَ الْيَقِينِ

102:5 Nay, if you could understand (it) with an understanding of certainty

لَتَرَوُنَّ الْجَحِيمَ

102:6 You would indeed, most surely, envision the blazing fire (as a direct consequence of this way of life)

ثُمَّ لَتَرَوُنَّهَا عَيْنَ الْيَقِينِ

102:7 (But if you cannot understand this by using your intellect,) then, most surely, (one day) you will behold it with eye of certainty

ثُمَّ لَتُسْأَلُنَّ يَوْمَئِذٍ عَنِ النَّعِيمِ

102:8 Then, on that day, you will be questioned about the bounties [the Almighty had bestowed for the nourishment of mankind, but which you collected to satisfy your own greed. You will be asked whose toils and blood it was that decorated your palaces of joy and pleasure and what right you had to usurp them (21:13)

0 comments: